The Instagram Interviews: Andy Best
1. Could you share a little bit about yourself and how you got started in photography?
I am a third generation photographer. My dad was always into photography and I took to it at an early age.
2. When did you start on Instagram, and how has your account grown since?
I started my first account in 2010. It grew quickly and I had an awesome community of followers. It was deleted in 2013 by Instagram because of some unknown issue. Very long frustrating story.
My account now I started at the end of 2013 and at the end of June I was around 7k followers. Today I’m over 100k.
3. Between Twitter, Tumblr, Vimeo, Instagram, word of mouth, and a personal website, there are lots of ways to market yourself as a photographer. How would you compare your usage of Instagram to the other marketing channels?
I use them all equally. I know Instagram is my primary marketing channel, but it’s important to keep everything current. The more places you can show your work the easier you are to find.
4. What is the one thing that has had the biggest impact on your work as a photographer?
I’d have to say that the biggest impact would have to be meeting and shooting with other photographers. Everyone knows more about something than you do. It’s important to always have that thirst of learning and growing.
5. Anything else you’d like to add?
It’s important to chase whatever it is you want to do in life and not allow your craft to be influenced by viewers. Always stay true to who you are. If you do, all the doors will open for you.